Geico ratings and reviews
- Geico has received fewer complaints than was expected for a company this size.
- The customer satisfaction ratings are the best in auto insurance shopping.
- The website and the mobile app offer many features that tech-savvy customers will appreciate.
Geico is the second-largest national auto insurance company. It’s best known for offering low rates online and over the telephone. It is available in all 50 US states and the District of Columbia. Geico may be the right choice for you if you are looking for affordable car insurance and can manage your accounts online even if an agent isn’t near you.
Geico offers a variety of insurance options, including standard car insurance.
- Coverage for mechanical breakdown.This includes repairs for all mechanical parts on a new vehicle that is less than 15 months old with less than 15,000mi. There is a $250 deductible. The mechanical breakdown coverage can be renewed for up to seven year or 100,000 miles, depending on when it is first. It does not cover regular maintenance like tuneups.
- Ridesharing insuranceThis policy covers personal use and ridesharing if you work for Uber, Lyft, GrubHub or Instacart. This hybrid insurance can be used to replace an existing auto policy and only for ridesharing vehicles. Geico’sRidesharing insuranceIt is available in 40 US states and the District of Columbia.
Geico offers auto insurance discounts
Geico offers a wide range of discounts on car insurance. There’s a good possibility that you will find one that suits you. You may be eligible to receive discounts for:
- Safety equipment such as air bags, antilock brakes, daytime running light or an anti-theft device.
- A brand new vehicle less than three years old.
- Five years driving with no accidents.
- Using seat belts.
- Completing a defensive driving class or driver’s education course for young drivers.
- If you or someone on your insurance is a full-time student, having good grades.
- Participating in an emergency operation with the U.S. Military.
- Active or retired military service member, or member of the National Guard/Reserves.
- You can be an active federal employee or retired one.
- Geico allows you to insure more than one vehicle.
- Geico offers a range of policies for homeowners, renters and condo owners.
- Membership in alumni associations and sports groups.
If you live in Connecticut, Illinois, Oregon, Pennsylvania or Wisconsin, Geico also may offer you a discount for tracking your driving through your phone. DriveEasy measures driving habits such as speed, hard braking, and how often you use your phone while driving. All drivers on your policy that are eligible for the price break must be included.
>> LEARN MORE How to get car insurance quotes
Geico customer satisfaction and complaints
According to data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, Geico received fewer complaints than was expected by state regulators given its size for auto coverage.
A 2020 J.D. A power study on customer satisfaction regarding auto insurance shopping revealed that Geico was rated the largest insurer but below average in satisfaction with auto insurance claims.
Learn more about Geico
Website:Geico’s website allows you to learn more about insurance and receive a quote. You can also submit a claim, or make payments. You can also find the closest cheap gas station using this feature.
Mobile app:Geico’s mobile service allows you to keep track of your policy details and billing details, access and pay bills, and submit claims. The app can be used to chat with agents, request roadside assistance and find parking. You can also track the history of your car’s maintenance.
Voice assistanceGeico’s virtual assistant Kate, an iOS and Android feature of the existing app, can answer any insurance questions you may have and provide policy information. You can also access your Geico account via Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.
Geico’s telephone number is 800-207-7847.
Guide to buying auto insurance
Before you can compare car insurance companies, it is important to gather basic information. This includes the driving record of all the policyholders, facts about your vehicle, and safety features. It is important to determine the type of coverage that you require. For example, do you want only the bare minimum insurance that your state requires, or do you need more extensive coverage, such as gap insurance or rideshare coverage? Make sure you are aware of the options available to you from each company.
Compare rates between insurers to ensure that they offer the same coverage limits as deductibles. It is possible to make a decision based solely on the price. You should look at the number of complaints that each company has. These can indicate how high quality you might get.
You may be able buy insurance online, by phone, or through an agent, depending on the company you choose. For more guidance, see how to get car insurance.
Geico offers renters and homeowners insurance
Geico provides home insurance through its partner companies. To learn more about the coverage options available, read our Geico homeowners insurance review.
Geico also offers renters insurance through partners. To read about this program, see NerdWallet’s Geico renters insurance review.
Geico also offers other insurance
- Motorbike insurance.
- All-terrain vehicle insurance
- Insurance for recreational vehicles
- Insurance for personal or boat watercraft.
- Collector insurance for classic cars
- Commercial auto insurance.
- Umbrella insurance.
Auto insurance ratings methodology
NerdWallet’s auto-insurance ratings recognize companies that have customer-first features or practices. Ratings are calculated based on a weighted average of scores across several categories such as financial strength, consumer complaints, and discounts. The ease of use category considers factors like website transparency and how easy it can be to file a claim. We also take into account customer satisfaction surveys, but this is at our discretion. These ratings are only a guide. We encourage you to compare multiple insurance quotes to get the best rate. NerdWallet is not compensated for reviews. Check out ourGuidelines for editors.
Insurer complaints methodology
NerdWallet reviewed complaints received from state insurance regulators. The NAC reported the findings to them in 2018-2020. The NAIC calculates an annual complaint index for each subsidiary to compare insurers. This measures its share of total complaints relative its size or industry share. NerdWallet created a similar index to evaluate the company’s history of complaints. It was weighted by each subsidiary’s market shares over the three-year period. The ratios for home, auto (including renters) and life insurance are calculated separately.